How important is a Java Programmer (or Developer) certificate?

I'm thinking about obtaining a Java Programmer certificate, and am wondering how important it is to have one. I'd like to hear from people who don't have a direct interest in my decision (I.E. people selling course materials and test prep services). In particular I'd like to know if you (as a hiring manager or decision maker) would prefer someone with a certificate over someone who does not (in particular whither a certificate would make up for a difference in experience), and whither you (as a programmer) found it easier to get jobs or move onto interesting projects with one than without one. Is it assumed that everyone who has any experience in Java has one? (which is why it's rarely listed as a requirement)? Also (overall) how many people do you work with have certificates, and how many people don't.

I've looked at some of the practice tests and books (the books are very out-of-date), and it looks like a trivia contest (I suppose most predominately multiple-choice tests are, unless they are designed to be easy). I've tried to play "Slumdog Millionaire" and figure out an explanation of how I came to know some of the more obscure answers, or (more to the point) what conceivable reason would anyone need to know some of the answers.

I realize that a Programmer certificate is required (or used to be) to get a Developer certificate, which involves turning in a realistic project. I would think the developer certificate would be much more valuable. If it's worth obtaining a Developer certificate, then that justifies getting a Programmer certificate.

No comments:

Google